Pulled Chicken Tacos Recipe, an easy stress-free weekend night meal. No compromise on flavour. Although, if you have a chicken breast or chicken thighs in the fridge you can nail this.
You can also make it with dark or white meat. This can be your ideal recipe to make in an Instant Pot. Also, be made in an electric pressure cooker or slow cooker.
The shredded chicken can be cooked in any style to keep it juicy and tender. End up with delicate recipe, flavourful filling for tacos with little effort. Grace your tacos with salsa, avocado, cheese of your choice.
Make your meal wholesome. A great idea would be to make a topping bar. This way, everyone can choose according to their liking.
- Total:30 mins
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:20 mins
- Servings:4 servings
Ingredients for Pulled Chicken Tacos Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- One small onion (peeled and quartered)
- Three garlic cloves (smashed)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- Two teaspoons chilli powder
- One teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 lime (juiced)
- Corn or flour tortillas (warmed, for serving)
- Gather all ingredients.
- Add the chicken in a single layer to a deep skillet pan. Add the onion, garlic, and broth. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.
- Over medium heat, barely bring to a simmer and reduce the heat to low. Partially cover. Skim any foam that forms off the top and flip the chicken over if needed—Cook the chicken breasts for 10 to 15 minutes, or until just cooked thoroughly. Do not overcook. Cook thighs at a low simmer for 30 minutes, or until tender and cooked through. Drain and reserve the broth, discarding the onion and garlic.
- Shred the meat with two forks or let cool enough to shred with your hands. Add 1/4 cup of the reserved broth (save the rest for soup), chilli powder, cumin, and paprika to the pan over medium heat. Stir and cook until the broth is simmering. Add the shredded chicken and stir well. Turn off the heat.
- Add the lime juice, stir, and taste for seasoning. Add salt and pepper according to your need.
- Serve on warm tortillas with your choice of toppings.
Variation for cooking in Pressure Cooker:
For making in an Instant Pot, follow steps 1 and 2 according to the recipe.
If using chicken breast, cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Use natural release for releasing pressure.
For cooking chicken thighs cook for 10 minutes at high pressure. Use natural release for releasing pressure. Follow steps as mentioned of you instant pot for sautéing features.
If cooking in a slow cooker, follow step 1,2 exactly. And then for chicken breasts mould it into cooking for 3-4 hours on low heat.
While cooking for chicken thighs, cooking takes 5-6 hours. Shred chicken and add it back to pressure cooker. Add ½ cup broth and spices with it—Cook for an additional 30 minutes to an hour on high. Garnish and serve.